In a bid to boost eco-tourism in the Gujarat State, the State has mooted a proposal to set up interpretation centres at new wildlife and bird sanctuaries across the State. It has also started upgrading the existing centres and other facilities for prospective tourists at other eco-tourism sites.
- The new eco-tourism sites identified are:
- Khijadia Bird Sanctuary (Jamnagar),
- Koteshwar-Naraya Sarovar (Kutch),
- Thol Bird Sanctuary (Gandhinagar),
- Ajamgadh-Keliya Dam - (Valsad district)
- Wilson Hills - (Valsad district)
- Pariej Wetland (Kheda),
- Shoolpaneshwar Wildlife Sanctuary (Narmada),
- Kevadia (Vadodara)
- Pirotan Island (Jamnagar).
Other facilities, such as drinking water, sanitation, reception centre and accommodation will be created for prospective tourists. While twin huts will be erected to provide accommodation, specially-designed tents will be set up for students who visit these places for environment education.